Monday, September 19, 2011

Quick Generic Update!

I will say my love for Colorado has helped the transition here to Utah much easier since I was pre accustomed to the mountain life style. I will say being surrounded by mountains though is definitely not helping my sense of direction! I'm so used to knowing that the mountains are always west! haha. That being said Utah has the most unique city planning that I've ever seen. It is a grid system that uses coordinates instead of road names for its major throughways. So for example I was trying to find this address the other day: 1700 E 15400 S. lol if you are confused then join the club. I have been blessed though with semi decent navigation skills (or I like to think) and so far have only been so lost once that i needed to pull over and stop freaking out. It truly is beautiful here and they get all 4 seasons, the altitude is about 1,000 feet less then Denver (which is great since im a baby about altitude... lol I know you are laughing at me Nick), and I get minimal humidity. There are a few downsides as well like everyone here being just as health conscious as Coloradans and the Great Salt Lake smells funky (brine shrimp=gross). All in all though its pretty!

As far as myself is concerned I got a job working at a convenience store down the street from me and they have been very generous with hours and im looking forward to a paycheck! The car hunt continues as I look for something cheep to get me to school and back! Which brings me to school! I will be attending the Aveda Institute in Provo for my Estheticians license and LDS Business College for my associates degree in Business Management. I'm very excited to start getting these things taken care of so I can work on being a more functioning adult lol. My new ward (church) out here is great, everyone is so amazingly nice and helpful and have made the transition very easy. Making new friends has been in the forefront of my agenda and I am having a wonderful time getting to know the 70 plus people at our ward. I have received a calling (which is just a fancy term for a job to do in the church organization) and I am working on the Fellowship Committee and the sub committee I am working on helps Returned Missionaries readjust to social life after being gone for 2 years! It's so much fun and works out really well for me since my personality is pretty open and I hope reassuring to these brothers and sisters coming home. My partner on this committee is a Returned Missionary himself (and also happens to be a part of the family i'm living with... which makes meetings pretty easy since all I have to do is yell downstairs lol) and he brings amazing inside knowledge on the best way to help! The second calling is helping to organize a night of broadway entertainment for a dinner the church is having in October. I have also been asked to speak at our Stake Conference (pending final approval of the schedule) and i'm a little nervous to talk in front of that many people (im thinking its going to be a thousand plus) but I know that God will provide the strength I need! I've completed talking to my Bishop and following some amazing promptings from the Holy Ghost and have decided to start taking steps towards serving a mission. Since I have a basis in French from High School so I've got my fingers crossed for the France mission which would be amazing but i'd be happy going anywhere! This Summer I am going with some of the Densleys to do a short term mission in Africa, specifically Ghana, and I couldn't be more excited for the opportunity to help out people less fortunate then myself.

As far as my health is concerned thank you all for your support and love through the last couple of weeks. I am waiting to meet with a Gastro Doctor here to discuss the length of time before I will develop Crohn's Disease. Right now the prognosis is still Chronic Colitis (a reoccurring inflamation of the Colon and digestive tract) I am so thankful for your prayers and support as I spend this time recovering my immune system from my time in the hospital. It's taking a little longer then we would like since I wasn't in the best health prior to my hospitalization. I've been fighting the same nasty cold for almost two weeks! Gross! In my spare time though I've been staying positive by finding some new hobbies, the biggest one being cooking! I'm enjoying it so much i've been cooking a big meal for friends and my host family here and they have been so fun! Last night I fed 14 people and it was so great to know that I didn't poison anyone. I ask that in your prayers this week you include the family of Phil Tamm who was a member of my ward and died unexpectedly Sunday night. He was a very nice young man who I had the pleasure of sitting next to on Sunday at church and it has been a huge loss for our congregation. It has been devastating to our community and his family and if you could jut send those positive prayers their way I know it would not be unappreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment